Monday, April 26, 2010

Electric Dragon 80,000 Volts

Electric Dragon is an interesting film, to say the least. I’ve watched the film 3 times throughout the course of this class, and I still can’t say for sure how I feel about the film, or precisely what happened. General confusion aside, however, Electric Dragon does a great job at conveying the mood and pace of comic media.

The Film is fast paced, exciting and brimming with ‘badassness’. Conversely however, the film is also confusing, corrosive, and far too often incoherent. I enjoyed the mood of the film, but I feel like I lost far too much of what the creators were trying to convey in regards to story content and characters. In the end I fathomed that there are two electricity themed superhero’s battling in the setting of modern day Tokyo (or some other large Japanese city). More than this, however, I would have a hard time deciphering.

This brings me to an interesting point in Electric Dragon. I get the impression that the aim of this film’s creators was not to make a piece of high art, or necessarily to construct a film with a compelling narrative. I think it is safe to say that the intent in making this movie was to construct something cool, to illustrate a battle between two superhero’s in a way that isn’t often seen today.

I’m personally getting very sick of rehashed adaptations of old marvel heroes in Hollywood. I feel as though the modern superhero movie has become rather formulaic, particularly in the West. In this context, Electric Dragon shines. It isn’t trying to be the incredible hulk, or the remake of the incredible hulk, or the remake of the remake. Electric Dragon shows us a fresh presentation of a classic formula, and in this way, the film stands out in the superhero world.

No comments:

Post a Comment